Ven Pongal and Brinjal Gotsu from Tamil Nadu
Contributed by Sharmila Shanmugasundaram
Ven Pongal recipe is a savoury and a popular South Indian breakfast made with rice and yellow moong dal. Is offered to Gods during auspicious days and festivals. It has a sweet version too which is also quite popular.
- 1 tsp ghee / clarified butter
- 2 cup rice, rinsed
- ½ cup moong dal, rinsed
- 3 cup water
- ½ tsp salt
Ingredients for tempering:
- 2 tbsp ghee / clarified butter
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp cumin / jeera
- ½ tsp pepper, crushed
- 1 inch ginger, finely chopped
- 2 chilli, slit
- 10 cashew / kaju, halves
- Few curry leaves
- pinch hing / asafoetida
- Wash Rice and Dal together
- Heat a cooker with 2 tsp of Ghee/ clarified butter
- Fry Ginger and Hing for a few seconds
- Add 3 cups of water, bring to boil
- Add washed rice and dal and salt and pressure cook for 4 whistles on medium flame.
- Wait for pressure to get released by itself, open and mash it.
- Temper with the above mentioned ingredients.
- Add curry leaves and hing to the tempering in the end.
- Add the tempering to the Pongal and mix well.
A garnish with grated coconut makes the dish more beautiful.