Vegetable Stew from Kerala
Contributed by Sharmila Shanmugasundaram
Kerala cuisine is famous for its dishes predominately prepared with coconut flavour. One such popular creamy Kerala style curry is a vegetable stew with a choice of veggies. Needless to say it is a dish loaded with vitamins and minerals.
- ½ tbsp coconut oil
- 2 cloves / lavang
- 1 inch cinnamon / dalchini
- 2 pods cardamom / elachi
- ½ onion, sliced
- 5 beans, chopped
- ½ carrot, chopped
- ½ potato, cubed
- 3 tbsp peas / matar
- 10 florets cauliflower / gobi
- 2 green chilli, slit
- 1 inch ginger, julienne
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cup coconut milk, thin
- few curry leaves
- ¼ cup coconut milk, thick
- In a large Pan/ kadai heat ½ tbsp coconut oil and saute 2 cloves, 1 inch cinnamon and 2 pods cardamom.
- Add ½ onion and saute till they shrink slightly. Do not brown the onions.
- Also add 5 beans, ½ carrot, ½ potato, 3 tbsp peas, 10 florets cauliflower, 2 green chilli and 1 inch ginger.
- Saute for a minute.
- Add 1 cup water, 1 tsp salt and a few curry leaves. Mix well.
- Cover and boil for 5 minutes or till vegetables are half cooked.
- Add 2 cup coconut milk (thin consistency) and mix well.
- Boil for 7 minutes or till vegetables are cooked completely.
- Turn off the flame and add a few curry leaves, ¼ cup thick coconut milk and 1 tsp coconut oil. Mix well.
Vegetable Stew is a great accompaniment with rice or Kerala Paratha.