VEGAN NARGIS KOFTA from Hyderabad
August 3, 2020
Contributed by Papiya Ghosal
For the kofta
- 4 big potatoes (boiled & mashed)
- 2 bread slices
- Salt to taste
- Coriander leaves
- 2 cut green chilli
For the stuffing
- Grated Tofu
- Crushed cashew + raisins
For the gravy
- 3 sliced onions
- 2 tomato ( puree)
- Ginger garlic paste
- Few whole garam masala ( bay leaf, green elaichi, 6 pepper corn, 1 stick dalchini)
- Some dry kasuri methi
- Red chilli powder
- Fresh cream
- Boil & mash the potatoes. Add all the dry ingredients. In case they are too mushy, add bread slices.
- Keep aside. Add cashews & raisins to the grated Tofu.
- Grease palm with oil. Make a flat round of the potato, like a small tikka. Place some tofu stuffing inside it & close it from all sides. Make 7-8 round balls & keep aside for deep frying.
Preparing the gravy
- Heat oil. Add the sliced onions & fry till golden brown. Close fire, keep aside. It has to be ground to a fine paste.
- In the same kadai, add oil. Add the whole garam masala. Add pureed tomatoes. Fry for some 5 mins, till oil separates. Add ginger- garlic paste. Fry for a few more minutes. Then add the onion paste.
- Add salt, turmeric powder, dry kasuri methi. Fry properly till oil separates.
- Close fire & add vegan cream
- Add the deep fried potato balls into the rich thick gravy , only when you are ready to serve.
Garnish with vegan cream & some cashews !!