VEGAN BESAN KADI from Punjab
August 2, 2020
Contributed by Vandana Khurana
- Besan- 250g
- Tamarind- 50g (boiled and pulp separated)
- Onion- 3 (1 cut long and 2 cut finely)
- Tomatoes- 2
- Ginger- 1 small
- Garlic-5-6 cloves
- Clove- 2-3
- Bay Leaves- 1
- Whole red chillies- 1
- Black pepper (whole)- 8-10
- Cinnamon- ½ inch
- Cumin- ½ tsp
- Turmeric- 1/4th spoon
- Coriander seeds or mustard seeds
- Oil- 8 tbs (for temper)
- Boil the tamarind and separate its pulp. Mash and mix the pulp in 1 ltre water.
- Put 3 tbs besan in the tamarind mix.
- Grind ginger and garlic into a paste and add it to the mix. Also add turmeric, red chilly powder and salt.
FOR THE TEMPER/ TADKA
- Heat oil in a frying pan and add to it cumin, coriander seeds, clove, bay leaves, whole red chilly, black pepper and cinnamon.
- Add one long cut onion to the oil and allow it to roast.
- Once the onion browns, add chopped tomatoes. Let the tomatoes putrefy.
- Pour the tamarind-besan mix into the temper and heat.
- Give it one boil and lower the flame till required consistency is attained.
PROCEDURE TO MAKE PAKORAS
- Mix besan and water for watery consistency (not too thin, enough for a stream of liquid besan to pour off a spoon).
- Add to the mix salt, red chilli and cumin.
- Add to it thinly chopped onions.
- Prepare pakora balls from the batter by putting them into oil and fry them in heated oil.
Mix the pakora in the besan curry prepared above, and the kadi is ready to be served!!