Ukad Shengule from Maharashtra
May 15, 2020
Contributed by Sampada KulkarniUkad Shengule is a one pot meal which works very well on a rainy day. These desi soupy pasta are not to be missed!!
- Jowar flour ½ cup
- Wheat flour ½ cup
- Besan 2 tbsp
- Ajwain / Carom seeds ¼ tsp
- Turmeric powder ¼ tsp
- Garlic green chili paste (7~8 garlic cloves and 1-2 green chillies) 1tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Finely chopped Coriander leaves
- 1 tbsp Oil
- Mustard seeds 1/2 tsp
- Cumin seeds 1/2 tsp
- Garlic paste 1tsp
- Goda masala 1tbsp
- Red chili powder 1 tbsp
- 1 big glass Water
- In a dish add wheat flour and besan. Jowar flour can be added too
- Add ajwain, turmeric powder, garlic chili paste and salt. Mix everything well together.
- Add lots of coriander. Add a little water at a time and knead thick dough.
- Don’t make the dough too thin. Let it be thicker than chapati flour
- Transfer the dough into a bowl, cover and let it rest for about 10 minutes.
- Roll small fingers size rolls. Join ends of each roll to seal the ends into circlular rolls. These are the Shengolya.
- Make and keep aside.
- For the gravy, heat up oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds and let it pop up.
- Add cumin seeds and let them sizzle up.
- Add asafetida. Reduce the heat to low.
- Add garlic paste, goda masala and red chili powder.
- Mix well and fry for about a minute.
- Add water and salt. Let the gravy boil nicely.
- Now drop shengolya prepared earlier into the boiling hot gravy.
- Mix once lightly, cover and cook on medium heat for about 15-20 minutes.
- Add coriander leaves and shengolya are already.
- You can have these shengolya as it is or add a little lemon juice
Serve Ukad Shengule with papad, pickle and onion. Additional ghee makes it yummier!!