Tomato Chutney from Kerala
Contributed by Divyaa Menon
This is an effortless dish ready in a giffy. A great side dish which pairs well with dosas and idlis. When in a dilemma this is an easy one to fall back on. The dry roasted coconut gives it the texture it deserves.
- Onions 2
- Tomatoes 2
- Mustard seeds 1/4 tbsp
- Red Chilli powder 1/2 tsp
- Grated Coconut 4tbsp
- Salt to taste
- First cut 2 onions and 2 tomatoes unevenly, even bing chunks work.
- Then in a pan splutter the mustard seeds with hot oil.
- Add the cut pieces of onion and tomato to the pan.
- Add salt and red chilli powder, mix well.
- Let it cook on a low flame till tomatoes are mushy and soft.
- Meanwhile dry roast grated coconut on a pan.
- Add the coconut and the Onion Tomato mix into a blender and make it paste The coconut adds a bit of coarseness to the chutney.
It's now ready to be served !