Sodhi from Tamil Nadu
Sodhi is another version of the vegetable stew. The addition of lentils/ dal and drumsticks makes it a sublime side dish.
Contributed by Ritambhari M
- Coconut - 1,
- Water - as required,
- Drumstick - 2, cut into 2 inch chunks,
- Potatoes - 4 medium, peeled and diced,
- Carrot - 3 medium, peeled and cut into 2 inch strips
- Brinjal - 250 gms, chopped into slices
- Beans - 200 grams, chopped into 2 inch pieces
- Green peas - 250 grams, shelled
- Shallots - 200 grams, peeled
- Garlic - 6-7 cloves, peeled
- Green chillies - 5-6, sliced
- Moong dal - 1 handful, washed and set aside
- Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
- Oil - 2 tablespoons
- Salt - to taste
- Lemon - 1/2 (optional)
- Grate the coconut. Add half glass of hot water. Squeeze and extract milk from it. Keep it aside.
- Add 1 glass of warm water to the grated coconut above and grind it for a few more minutes. Extract the coconut milk the 2nd time. Set it aside too. Now repeat the procedure for a third time and set aside. You should have 3 glasses of coconut milk each with different dilution of extracts.
- In a kadhai/ pan, put 2 tbsp of oil. Add mustard seeds. Allow to spurt
- Add shallots. Fry till golden brown. Add garlic and green chilies. Fry for a few minutes.
- Add moong dal with a little water and cook till half done.
- Add vegetables, saute for a minute. Then add 3rd coconut milk. Cook till veggies are half done.
- Add 2nd coconut milk. Cook till veggies and dal are fully cooked.
- Add salt and cook for a few minutes.
- Add 1st coconut milk, stir well and remove from fire.
- You can squeeze half a lemon if you desire.
The curry is mild full of wonderful flavor, goes well with rice, idli dosa, idiyappam typically with almost all South Indian breakfast items.