Sindhi style Methi Rice
Contributed by Vandana Khurana
1 ½ cup Basmati rice
1 bunch of fresh methi/ fenugreek leaves chopped fine
1 large onion sliced
1-2 tbsp of ghee
2 green chillies
¾ cup chopped vegetables
1 small piece of ginger
1 tsp Jeera Seeds
5-6 cloves of garlic
1″ piece of cinnamon
½ tsp Red Chilli
½ tsp Coriander powder
¼ tsp Turmeric powder
Salt to taste
1. Heat 2 to 3 tbsp oil in an open pan or kadai and saute the following spices- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds, 1 black cardamom, 2 green cardamoms, 1 inch cinnamon, 3 to 4 cloves cut finely.
2. Then add 1 thinly sliced onion. Stir often and saute the onion till it turns golden.
3. Then add the crushed/grinded ginger, garlic and green chilli paste. Stir and saute till they leave oil on the sides.
4. Now add the finely chopped methi leaves. About 2 cups of methi leaves which have been finely chopped. Stir and saute till the leaves change colour a bit.
5. Then add 3/4 cup chopped mix vegetables and stir well. You can add veggies like carrots and peas. Cubed Potatoes with skin are optional.
6. Add 1/4 tsp turmeric powder, 1/2 tsp red chili powder and 1/2 tsp coriander powder. Stir very well again.
7. Add the soaked basmati rice. Stir and saute for a minute.
8. Pour in 2 cups of water. Season with salt. Stir again.
9. Cover the pan and cook for 7-8 minutes or till the water dries.
10. A few drops of lime juice will enhance the absorption of Iron in Methi.
Serve Methi rice hot with some roasted papad and Pudina chutney.😀😀