Semolina White Sauce Vegan Pasta (from the scratch)
Contributed by Chhavi Mittal
Ingredients to make Semolina Ribbons
- Take 1 cup semolina and grind it into a fine powder. The consistency of the flour should be as rice flour.
- Take semolina flour into a large mixing bowl add ½ tea spoon salt and then give a quick stir with your hand to combine it together.
- Knead the floor by adding little water at a time. Knead it for about 10-12 minutes.
- Wrap it for a damp cloth for at least 45 minutes.
- Once rested, knead it again for a couple of minutes.
- Roll the dough just as we make roti but thinner than usual.
- Cut out the ribbons in the width you desire and let them dry for about 15-20 minutes.
- Boil water in a pan, boil, add little salt and a spoon of oil into it.
- Add ribbons into the boiled water and cook them until they come on the surface.
White Sauce Pasta
- Olive Oil - 2 tbsp
- Garlic -2-3 finely chopped cloves
- Onion - 1
- 1 Carrot or zucchini ribbons (use peeler to make ribbons)
- Salt & Pepper – to taste
- 1 tsp Oregano/Italian Basil, dry
- Nuts & seeds
- Paste of 1/4 cup soaked Cashews/nuts
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add the garlic and onion and stir-fry until it begins to turn light brown. Now add the red pepper flakes, and oregano.
- Add the nut paste and some water and keep stirring the sauce to ensure it doesn't stick to the bottom. You can also add any plant based milk instead of water to make it more flavourful and thicker sauce.
- When the sauce begins to boil, turn off the heat and add the pasta and carrot ribbons.
- Sprinkle black pepper and salt and give it a good mix.
Your pasta from the scratch is ready :)
Hack- If you’re making it in large quantity, you can add 1 spoon maida (all purpose flour) and some vegan milk (depending upon the quantity) and make a paste. To which you can add your nut paste and other ingredients as discussed above in point 1&2.
PS: You can buy Oregano or Basil from our favourite place @Peepal Farm https://shop.peepalfarm.org/shop/cat/Kitchen/Spices