RICE PUNDI from Mangalore
August 3, 2020
Contributed by Parul Shah
- 3 tsp oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp urad dal
- ¼ tsp methi / fenugreek seeds
- 2 dried red chilli, broken
- Few curry leaves
- 1 cup idli rava / rice rava
- ½ cup coconut, grated
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 cup water, boiling
- Firstly, in a kadai heat 3 tsp oil and splutter 1 tsp mustard seeds, 1 tsp urad dal, ¼ tsp methi seeds, 2 dried red chilli and a few curry leaves.
- Now add 1 cup idli rava and roast on medium flame.
- Roast for 5 minutes or until the rava turns aromatic.
- add in ½ cup coconut, 1 tsp salt and give a mix.
- Further, add 3 cup boiling water, keeping the flame on medium.
- Stir continuously, making sure there are no lumps forming.
- Keep stirring until the mixture thickens and make sure there are no lumps forming.
- Cook until the mixture starts to separate the pan and holds shape. Cool the mixture slightly.
- Once the mixture is still warm, wet your hands and start preparing balls.
- Create a small hole by pressing gently with your thumb.
- Place the prepared pundi into the steamer. make sure to grease the plate of the steamer to prevent it from sticking.
- Cover and steam for 15 minutes, or until the pundi are cooked completely.
Finally, serve pundi / undi with spicy garlic chutney.