Rajma (Kidney Beans)
A popular North Indian punjabi curry made with Kidney Beans and Indian spices is a great source of protein and fibre. It forms a semi-thick gravy which can also be served with jeera rice or with a choice of indian breads like roti or paratha.
- Rajma- 250g
Ingredients for Tempering/ Tadka
- Onion- 3 medium
- Garlic- 8-10 cloves
- Ginger- 1 small
- Green Chillies- 3
- Cumin- ½ spoon
- Red Chilly Powder-1/4th spoon
- Turmeric-½ spoon
- Salt- ½ spoon
- Oil- 2 service spoons
- Wash and soak the rajma.
- Boil the rajma in 1 kg water, in a pressure cooker
- After 3-4 whistles of the cooker, check if it is considerably putrefied.
For the temper/ tadka
- Grind or finely chop the onion.
- Grind or finely chop the ginger, garlic, green chilli and tomatoes.
- Heat oil in a frying pan and add cumin.
- Toss the onion into the pan-wait till it browns.
- Next, add the tomato puree paste.
- Add salt, red chilly powder, garam masala and turmeric.
- Mix the temper with the rajma. Give one final boil and its ready! Rajma can now be served at luch or dinner.