Pidi Kozhukattai /Upma Kozhukattai from Tamil Nadu
Contributed by Meenakshi Rajagopalan
Pidi Kozhukattai - South Indian dumplings made from rice flour, jaggery, coconut and sesame oil/ghee. Is a staple in many houses as a breakfast or as a quick evening snack. As kozhukattais are steamed well it's healthy, easily digestible and filling.
- 3 Cup White Rice 1 Cup - 250ml
- 2.5 Cups Water
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/4 Cup Grated Coconut
Ingredients for Tempering (tadka)
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 tsp Split Urad Dal
- 1 tsp Split Bengal Gram (Chana Dal)
- 1 tsp Yellow Moong dal
- 1 tsp Arhar Dal
- Pinch of Jeera
- 2 Red Chili
- a Pinch Asafoetida (Asafetida / Hing)
- Few Curry Leaves
- Wash 3 cups of white rice and drain and leave it aside for a few hours.
- Parallely take one spoon each of Arhar, Yellow Moong, Chana Dal, Urad Dal with half a spoon of Black Pepper and Jeera
- Wash the Dal and drain and then add Pepper and Jeera and keep it aside for a few hours to dry.
- In a dry mixie, first coarsely grind the dal then add the rice and grind them together.
- In a kadai/pan take a few spoons of oil and splutter mustard seeds, add some Arhar dal, chopped green Chilli, finely chopped Ginger, dry Red chillies and Hing.
- Then add water in the ratio of 1:3 to the Rice
- Let it boil, add Curry and Dhania leaves and salt.
- Once it boils add the ground dry mixture little by little while stirring continuously, so that no lumps are formed
- Now cover and cook and keep stirring every few minutes.
- Then get the idli plates greased and start making round balls of the mixture.. (once you can tolerate the heat) you can keep a bartan with cold water and keep dipping your hands in it so that u can manage doing this step
- Steam and then eat.
Best with sambar or tomato onion chutney