OATS UPMA from Tamil Nadu
August 2, 2020
Contributed by Karishma Sharma
- Green peas
- Rolled Oats
- Chana Daal
- Mustard Seed
- Cumin Seed
- Curry Leaves
- Green Chilli
- Dry roast 1 cup oats until crisp on a medium flame. They do not turn as crisp as poha but a bit. Transfer these aside to a plate.
- 1½ tablespoon oil in a pan. Add ¼ teaspoon mustard seeds and ½ teaspoon cumin seeds(optional). When the mustard begins to pop, add half teaspoon chana dal and half teaspoon urad dal.
- Then add 2 tablespoons peanuts or 8 to 10 split cashews.
- Fry until the dals turn golden. Then add half teaspoon grated or chopped ginger and 1 sprig curry leaves. Fry for a minute until the ginger smells good.
- Add 1 finely chopped onion & 1 to 2 chopped green chilies.
- Saute until the onions turn transparent.
- If using mixed vegetables, add ½ to ¾ cup. Half small carrot, 2 to 3 small beans and 2 tbsps green peas. Fry for 2 mins.
- Sprinkle 2 tbsps water and cook covered until slightly soft for 2 to 3 mins.
- Then add ¼ teaspoon turmeric and half teaspoon salt
- Pour water and bring it to a boil. If using rolled oats pour 1 cup water. If using instant quick cook oats then pour half cup water. If you like mushy oats then pour more water.
- Mix well. The water will be absorbed within a minute or 2.
- Then cover and cook on a low flame for 2 mins or until no excess moisture is left.
- Then add roasted oats.
- With rolled oats it turns fluffy. With Instant oats it turns soft and slightly mushy.