MISSI ROTI WITH METHI from Punjab
August 3, 2020
Contributed by Vandana Khurana
Ingredients for Missi Roti:
- 1 cup Whole Wheat Flour
- 1/2 cup Besan or Gram Flour
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped Methi or Fenugreek leaves
- 1/2 cup cooked Moong dal instead of yogurt.
- 2 to 3 tbsp of water to knead the dough
- 1 tsp of Ajwain or Carom Seeds
- 1/2 tsp of Garam Masala powder
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsps oil for the dough
- Oil to cook the rotis
- Salt to taste
- In a large bowl, combine the flours, methi, spices, cooked dal and salt.
- Add 2 tsp of oil and mix the mixture well.
- Leave it in the fridge for 15 -20 mins for the flour to set well.
Punjabi Amla Vegetable Ingredients:
- Indian Gooseberry boiled in water with turmeric powder 1/2 kilogram
- Hing/ Asafoetida 1/4 teaspoon Ajwain/ Carom seeds 1/4 teaspoon
- Saunf /Fennel seeds 1 teaspoon
- Jeera / Cumin seeds 1 teaspoon
- Green chillies chopped 3
- Red chilli powder 1 teaspoon
- Coriander powder 1 1/2 tablespoons
- Turmeric powder 1/4 teaspoon
- Salt to taste
- Slit the Amlas on the two sides without cutting them completely.
- Boil in about a cup or so of water with turmeric, to soften the Amlas.
- Sieve the Amlas and can drink the remaining water as Amla tea.
- Heat oil in a pan/ kadai, add Asafoetida, Ajwain seeds, Saunf seeds and Jeera and sauté for 1-1½ minutes.
- Add the cut green chillies, Amlas, red chilli powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder (if required) and salt and mix well.
- Transfer into a serving bowl and serve hot.