Matar/ Peas ka Nimona from Uttar Pradesh
Contributed by Swati Mishra Tiwari
This widely prepared traditional Uttar Pradesh style Matar Ka Nimona is made using peas and just a few spices. This is a soupy curry that goes well with rice or paratha. Best made with fresh peas available during the winter.
- Peas/ green chana 2 cups
- Potato 1
- Large Onion 1
- Ginger 1 inch
- Cloves of Garlic 6-8
- Tomatoes 3
- Chilli Powder I tsp
- Coriander Powder 2 tbsp
- Turmeric powder 1 tsp
- Garam masala 1 tsp
- Jeera 1/2 spoon
- Hing a pinch
- Salt to taste
- Make a coarse paste of the green peas/ green channa
- Cut the potato in 1 inch sized cubes and bake for 15-20 mins with a sprinkle of salt (traditionally potatoes are deep fried in mustard oil).
- Make a paste of the large Onion, ginger and garlic.
- Now, fry the pea paste in three tbsp mustard oil till it leaves sides and emits a wonderful aroma and keep aside.
- Add 2 tbsp oil in the cooker. Add jeera and let it turn brown.
- Add ginger garlic onion paste till pink and leaves sides. Add tomatoes. Add all masalas. Fry for a further 2-3 minutes.
- Add the pea paste and potatoes. Add 3 cups of water and cook for 5-7 minutes.
The Matar ka Nimona is now ready to be served with Rice or Roti.