Maa ki Dal (Black Dal)
May 28, 2020
Delicious dal cooked in spices and generous amounts of ghee, butter, cream and curd. Direct from Punjab, this maa ki dal recipe doesn’t disappoint !
- Dal- 250g
- Garlic- 6-7 cloves
- Onion- 1 big (finely chopped)
- Hing- a pinch
- Oil- 4-5 tbsp
- Onion- 1 medium
- Ginger- 1 small piece
- Green Chillies- 2
- Tomato- 2 medium
- Whole cumin- 1/4th spoon
- Whole red chillies- 1
- Dry green cardamom- 1
- Bay leaves- 1
- Red chilli powder- 1/4th spoon
- Garam masala- 1/4th spoon
- Mustard oil- 4-5 tbs
- Soak dal overnight 1 kg water
- Add onion, garlic, salt and hing in the dal and boil.
- Once the dal bursts, reduce the flame and wait till a brownish colour indicates a thick consistency of the mix.
- Heat oil in a big pan.
- Once hot, add whole cumin, clove, whole red chillies, cardamom and bay leaves to the oil.
- Add finely chopped onions into the hot oil.
- Once the onion browns add tomato, green chillies and ginger.
- Wait till the tomato putrefies and add to it garam masala and red chilli powder.
- Add the prepared temper to the dal, and give it one boil, till it's prepared to be eaten! The Dal is ready to be served now.