LAUKI MUTHIYA from Gujrat
July 29, 2020
Contributed by Vandana Khurrana
Ingredients to knead the flour to make Muthiya
- Lauki (Gourd) - 2 cup (grated)
- Wheat flour - 125 gms. (1 cup)
- Sooji - 100 gms. (3/4 cup)
- Gram flour - 100 gms. (3/4 cup)
- Green chilli - 2
- Ginger - 2 inch long piece.
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp.
- Oil - 1 tbsp
- Salt - 3/4 tsp ( or according to the taste)
- Sugar - 2 tsp
Ingredients for the tadka/ tampering
- Oil - 2 tbsp
- Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
- Sesame - 1 tbsp
- Curry leaves - 10-12
- Hing - 2-3 pinch.
- Salt - 1/4 tsp
- Lemon - 1
- Firstly, in a large mixing bowl take 1½ cup wheat flour, ¼ cup rava and ¼ cup besan.
- Add ¼ tsp turmeric, ¾ tsp chilli powder, ½ tsp coriander powder, ¼ tsp cumin powder, ½ tsp garam masala, ¼ tsp ajwain, 1 tbsp sugar, pinch hing and ½ tsp salt. Mix well.
- Further add 2 cup lauki grated, ½ tsp ginger paste, 1 chilli, 2 tbsp coriander, 1 tbsp curd and 1 tbsp oil.
- Knead the dough well, the water in Lauki should be good enough to form a dough.
- Rest the dough for 15 minutes, making sure the dough turns soft.
- Now take a large ball sized dough and roll to a cylindrical shape.
- Place the rolled dough into the steamer. Do grease the steamer with oil to prevent it from sticking.
- Cover and steam for 20 minutes, keeping the flame on medium. Steam until the toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Cool slightly and cut into thick slices. Keep aside.
- Tempering Muthiya:
- In a kadai heat 2 tbsp oil and splutter 1 tsp mustard, 2 tsp sesame seeds, pinch hing and few curry leaves.
- Add in sliced muthiya and mix well and squeeze a little lime over it
- Spread and roast on both sides until the sides turn crisp.
- Muthiya is now ready to be served.:))