Khichu from Rajasthan
Contributed by Swati Pandya Lodha
Khichu in Gujarati is actually a dough from which traditional papads are prepared. However, this dough alone is so delicious when cooked with groundnut oil that it is eaten as a snack. Khichu can be prepared from various types of flours like rice flour, wheat flour, bajri flour, nachani flour, jowar flour etc making it very healthy.
- Wheat flour 200 gms
- Hot water 400 ml
- Green chilly-ginger paste 1 tbsp
- Red chilly powder 1 tsp
- Jeera 1tsp
- Dhania seeds 1 tsp
- Papad Khara 5 grms (a type of soda which is used to make Papad)
- Keep water to boil. In a dry bowl mix atta, all spices and Papad khara.
- Add hot water bit by bit to the mixture while stirring either with belan or chopsticks. Mix well to ensure no lumps are present.
- It should be a loose batter, almost of a consistency of thick idli batter.
- Now a steamer with a steel strainer should be made ready, coat the strainer with oil.
- Put the batter in the strainer with a spoon (kind of big or small lumps).
- Time it for 12- 15 minutes on high flame.
- Once done, place khariya on a plate and drizzle with raw groundnut oil and serve with Pickle mix or Red chilly powder.