Khichdi/ Mashed Dal and Rice
In this Chana dal khichdi, onions & tomatoes and vegetables are added to make a simple basic one pot dish at home on regular days. Chana Dal is rich in Protein and is very healthy too. So when a light comfort meal is required, this khichdi really fits the bill!
- Chana dal- 1 bowl
- Rice- 1 bowl
- Onion- 1 big
- Cauliflower- 50g
- Potatoes- 50g
- Carrots- 50g
- Beans- 50g
- Peas- 50g
- Garlic- 5-6
- Ginger- 1 inch
- Tomatoes- 2
- Whole cumin- ½ spoon
- Whole Black pepper- 10-15
- Clove- 1-2
- Cinnamon- 1 inch
- Indian bay leaf- 2
- Red chilly powder-1/4th tsp
- Garam Masala- 1/4th tbs
- Salt- 1/4th tbs+1/4th tbs
- Oil- 4-6 service spoon
- Wash the dal and rice and soak it in water. Water should be enough to submerge the grains.
- Add salt to dal and rice in water, measuring to 3 bowls. Boil on low heat.
- In a separate frying pan, heat some oil. Add cumin to the oil once heated and the whole spices- bay leaf, cinnamon, black pepper, cloves.
- Add onions and wait for them to brown.
- Once the onions are brown, add ginger and garlic (or ginger garlic paste).
- Add tomatoes once all the above mentioned ingredients putrefy.
- Add garam masala, salt and red chilly powder to the mix.
- Add all veggies.
- Stir the veggies on heat till they putrefy.
- Once prepared, mix the rice and dal with the putrefied vegetables.
- You khichdi is ready to be eaten!