Kara Kozhukattai from Tamil Nadu
Contributed by Sharmila Shanmugasundaram
Kara Kozhukattai is made in the Kongunad region of Tamil Nadu. This is a very light and super tasty salted version of kozhukattai. A childhood favourite is mainly had for dinner with some chutney.
- Cup Rice flour
- Salt to taste
- 3 cups Boiled water
Ingredients For Tempering/ tadka
- 2 teaspoon gingely oil
- 1/4 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 2 tablespoon urad dal
- 1 sprig curry leaves, finely chopped
- 2 dried red chillies, finely chopped
- Dry coconut
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Add 3 cups of boiled water with salt to the rice flour.
- Pour the hot water in the flour little by little and mix it evenly without any extra water.
- Add the tempered/ tadka of mustard seeds, dried chopped red chillies, urad Dal, chopped curry leaves and some coconut to the rice flour and mix it well.
- Let the dough become warm. When the dough is still warm, dip your hands in cold water and take a small lemon size ball of dough. Press the dough a little to form oblong shaped dumplings. Set aside.
- Place the dumplings on an idli plate or any flat plate and steam it for 15 minutes on a medium flame.
- Serve hot with coconut chutney, red chutney or kara chutney.
An easy to make, healthy dish is ready!