May 30, 2020
A staple breakfast in most South Indian homes is quite popular in North India too due to its digestive properties and being light on the stomach. Best served with Coconut Chutney and Sambar.
- Urad ki dal- 1 bowl
- Rice- 3 bowl
- Coriander seeds- 1 tsp
- Salt- ½ tsp
- Soak urad dal overnight. Soak rice and coriander seeds separately in water, overnight. Use enough water to submerge the grains.
- Grind all three ingredients separately and mix them together. Add some salt to the mix too.
- Keep the mix till it ferments (or fluffs up). The batter to make Idlis is ready.
- To make Idli: grease idli plates and then fill them with the batter. Steam in a steamer for 10 to 12 minutes on high heat or in an Instant Pot for 13 mins with a pressure valve in a venting position (with 1 cup water in the pot to generate steam).
- Cool for five to ten minutes and take idlis out of plates. Serve with sambar and coconut chutney.