Gun Powder/ Milagai Podi from Tamil Nadu
Contributed by Meenakshi Rajagopalan
A popular dry chutney in the South India eaten with Dosas and Idlis has different versions from many Indian states. This is a famous one from the state of Tamil Nadu.
- Black Sesame seeds 1 spoon
- Chana Dal 1 cup
- Urad Dal 1 cup
- Hing - a pinch
- Dry Red Chillies 2-3
- Jaggery/ sugar as per taste.
- Gingelly Oil
- Heat up a pan.
- Dry roast sesame seeds one spoon (black gives a better aroma than the white sesame seeds). Keep it aside for cooling.
- Dry roast Chana dal and Urad Dal separately and cool.
- Add hing and roast chillies in very little oil (can adjust the spice).
- Finally grind them all together with salt and a bit of jaggery or sugar.
- Do not fine grind to keep the texture.
Mixed with a spoon of Gingelly oil/ ghee, it is ready to eat.