Drumstick Thokku (pickle) from Andhra
August 1, 2020
Contributed by Meenakshi Rajagopalan
- Drumsticks 3 (chopped into 2inches batons)
- Shallot onions (if not use the small onions) handfull
- Tomatoes - desi ones will work better 4 or 5 medium size
- Garlic - 8large pods
- Red chillies for tadka
- Mustard seeds for tadka
- Gingelly oil / til oil half a cup
- Sambar powder one spoon (if sambar powder is not there use dhaniya powder one spoon and red chilli powder one spoon and roasted methi powder 1/4th of a spoon)
- Tamarind paste (take a lemon size tamarind and pulp it and make it into a paste)
- Haldi half a spoon
- Hing according to flavor
- Lots of curry leaves
- Make a smooth paste of tomatoes and garlic
- In a small cooker put tamarind paste, drumstick batons, haldi powder and salt.
- Give two whistles.
- Else cook the drumstick batons in a kadai. It should be firm and well cooked.
- In another kadai take Gingelly/ til oil sputter mustard seeds.
- Fry the chopped shallot onions till golden brown.
- Add the tomato, garlic paste and the sambar powder and kadi patha/ curry leaves, once the raw smell of garlic goes away.
- Add the drumstick batons and add salt accordingly.
- Keep cooking till the oil separates.
- Can be used as a side dish for idli, dosa, rice and roti
- Can store and keep in the fridge for a week in an airtight container.