Contributed by Mallika Datt
Chutney Podi is a spiced lentil powder served as condiment to enhance the taste of hot steamed rice, idli and dosa with coconut chutney.
- Chana dal 1 part
- Urad dal 1 part
- Dry Coconut 1 part
- As per taste
- Dried chillies
- Tamarind powder/ amchoor
- A handful of freshly washed curry leaves
- Hing / Asafoetida a pinch
- Oil - very little
- Dry roast the three Dals separately to a golden yellow in a pan/ wok.
- Add little oil to hasten the process.
- Add Red chillies to the Chana dal while roasting to avoid fumes.
- Add Curry leaves, make sure they are dried well.
- In the same pan add dry coconut and toast on low flame till aroma begins.
- Add a bit of hing/ asafoetida.
- Now coarse grind - the Dals (can use the pulse option on the grinder).
- Fine grind - red chillies (picked up from the Dals), tamarind powder, salt and jaggery.
- Mix all of them thoroughly and taste it.
- Can add more jaggery, tamarind powder or salt to taste.
There are several variations to the podi recipe per household depending on taste.