Chokh Vangun from Kashmir
Contributed by Vidhi Mala
Kashmiri food is very simple yet flavorful. Chokh Vangun- is a very popular Kashmiri style brinjal curry, cooked in a spicy and sour gravy. Lots of whole warm spices, ghee and saffron are used in their daily routine food .
- 4-5 long eggplants, cut lengthwise
- 1 tbsp. Mustard oil
- Oil to deep fry
- Salt to taste
- 2-3 Cloves
- 1 tsp. Red Chili powder
- 1/4 tsp. Asafoetida
- 1/2 tsp. Saunth (dry ginger powder) - Don't add too much because it adds a bit of bitterness.
- 1 tsp. Fennel Powder
- 1-2 Dry Red Chilies, slit
- 1 tbsp. Ver Masala (Traditional Kashmiri spice mix of coriander, shahjeera, cardamom, carom, fennel, asafoetida and red chili powder)
- 1 tsp. tamarind paste mixed with 1/4 cup water optional use Red Chilli Powder and Tamarind as per taste.
- Heat oil to deep fry the eggplants.
- Drain and keep aside. Heat 1 tbsp. of the same oil and add in the cloves, salt, red chili powder, asafoetida, fennel powder, saunth and the ver masala mixed with a little water.
- Mix everything well and add in some more water. Simmer on a medium flame for 2-3 minutes.
- Add in the eggplants, dry red chillies and the tamarind water.
- Simmer further for 2 minutes and switch off the flame .
Eat with plain steamed rice and savour the dish.