Chhole/ Chana Masala
An extremely flavoursome and rich in Protein north indian curry prepared with chickpea and spices. The Cholle/ Chana masala is generally consumed with roti, layered paratha,bhatura or puffed poori and also with choice of rice. There are myriad ways to make this recipe and depending upon the region.
- Chhole/ Chana/ Chickpeas- 250g
- Onion- 3 medium
- Tomato- 4-5
- Garlic- 10-12 pods
- Green Chilly- 4
- Ginger- 1 small piece
- Salt- to taste
- Red chilly powder- 1/4th tsp
- Garam Masala- ½ tsp
- Coriander powder- 2 tsp
- Cumin- ½ tsp
- Tea leaves- ½ tsp
- Oil- 1 service spoon
- Wash and soak the chhole/ chana in 1kg of water.
- Cut onions longitudinally, and finely chop the tomatoes.
- Chop ginger and garlic finely.
- Along with the chhole, add salt, garam masala, red chilly powder, tea leaves, coriander, ginger, garlic and onion into a cooker.
- Leave all to putrefy for 20 mins in the cooker- 5-6 whistles.
For theTemper/ Tadka
- Heat oil in a large pan.
- Once the oil is hot enough add cumin, green chilly and 1/4th spoon red chilly powder.
- Mix the temper with the chhole mix, once both are prepared. Give it one last boil before it's ready!
- You may wish you garnish it with some coriander too. Chole is ready to be savoured!