Brinjal Gothsu from Tamil Nadu.
May 21, 2020
Contributed by Sharmila Shanmugasundaram
The Brinjal Gothsu is the perfect pair for pongal, idlis and dosas. It is the spicy side dish which makes for a good relish!
- Split gram roasted chana dal - 1/4 Cup
- Water - 2 + 1 1/2 Cups
- Onion - 1 small (finely chopped)
- Tomato - 1 small (finely chopped)
- Green chilli - 1 (slit)
- Brinjal - 2 medium (chopped into 1/4 inch cubes)
- Jaggery powder
- Salt - 1 tsp (adjust per taste)
- Turmeric powder 1/4 tsp
- Tamarind paste
Ingredients for Tempering
- Oil - 1 tsp
- Mustard - 1/4 tsp
- Broken urad dal - 1/2 tsp
- Jeera - 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves - 1 sprig
- Asafoetida - 1/8 tsp
- Dry red chilli - 2
- Add all the ingredients together and pressure cook 2-3 whistles
- Wait for the steam to settle and open cooker.
- Add the tadka/ tempering and adjust the taste.
The Brinjal Gotshu is ready to be savoured.