Brinjal Gothsu from Tamil Nadu.
Contributed by Sharmila Shanmugasundaram
The Brinjal Gothsu is the perfect pair for pongal, idlis and dosas. It is the spicy side dish which makes for a good relish!
- Split gram roasted chana dal - 1/4 Cup
- Water - 2 + 1 1/2 Cups
- Onion - 1 small (finely chopped)
- Tomato - 1 small (finely chopped)
- Green chilli - 1 (slit)
- Brinjal - 2 medium (chopped into 1/4 inch cubes)
- Jaggery powder
- Salt - 1 tsp (adjust per taste)
- Turmeric powder 1/4 tsp
- Tamarind paste
Ingredients for Tempering
- Oil - 1 tsp
- Mustard - 1/4 tsp
- Broken urad dal - 1/2 tsp
- Jeera - 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves - 1 sprig
- Asafoetida - 1/8 tsp
- Dry red chilli - 2
- Add all the ingredients together and pressure cook 2-3 whistles
- Wait for the steam to settle and open cooker.
- Add the tadka/ tempering and adjust the taste.
The Brinjal Gotshu is ready to be savoured.