Bom Chount from Kashmir
A sweet and spicy blend of Brinjal and Apple dry gravy, relished as a side dish usually during an everyday meal. The curry has simple flavours like red chilli powder, fennel powder and garam masala powder. The special Kashimiri masala Ver makes it special!
Contributed by Vidhi Mala
- Brinjal (Baingan / Eggplant) 2-3
- Apple 4-5, cut lengthwise (Green Apples are preferred)
- Red Chilli powder 1 tsp
- Hing 1/4th tsp
- Saunth/ Dry Ginger powder (not to be added much as it adds to bitterness).
- Fennel Powder 2 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Cloves 2-3
- Cumin seeds (Jeera) 1 tsp
- Mustard Oil 1 tsp
- Oil to Fry
- Ver masala (Kashmiri spice mix of coriander, shahjeera, cardamom, carom, fennel, asafoetida and red chili powder)
- Tamarind paste mixed with 1/4 cup water / optional can use Red Chilli Powder and soaked tamarind as per taste
- Heat oil to deep fry the eggplants. Drain and keep aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp. of the same oil and add in the cloves, salt, red chili powder, asafoetida, fennel powder, saunth and the ver masala mixed with a little water.
- Mix everything well and add in some more water if required.
- Simmer on a medium flame for 2-3 minutes.
- Add in the fried egg plants, Apples, dry red chilli and the tamarind water.
- Simmer further for 2 minutes and switch off the flame .
Served best with hot phulkas or tawa paratha !