Black Chana/ Chickpeas
Black chana masala helps out to supply the missing nutrient in our diet. It contains a lot of fibre and is rich in vegetable Protein. To top it all it is a simple recipe that can be made with just onions and tomatoes and basic spice powders.
- Black Chana/ Chickpeas- 250 gm
- Onion- 4 medium
- Tomato- 4 medium
- Garlic- 10-12 cloves
- Ginger- 1
- Salt- ½ tbs
- Turmeric-½ tbs
- Red chilly powder- 1/4th tbs
- Garam Masala- 1/4th tbs
- Cumin- 1/4th tbs
- Oil- 8 tbs
- Wash and soak the black chana overnight.
- In 1 kg water, add salt and the soaked chana. Boil in a cooker for about ½ an hour.
For the temper/ tadka
- Grind onions in a mixie.
- Grind together- tomato, garlic and ginger.
- Heat oil in a frying pan and add cumin seeds once heated.
- Add onion to the hot oil and wait for it to brown.
- Once browned, add the tomato puree to the hot oil.
- Stir the ingredients till they release oil- add garam masala, turmeric and red chilly powder.
- Add the temper to the chana mix in the cooker and boil. After 4-5 whistles, pour water into the mix to get required consistency. The Chana is ready to be served!