Anardana (Pomegranate Seeds) Chutney from Kashmir
Contributed by Harsh Magotra Sudan
The ruby red Pomegranate seeds are used not just for garnishing rice for effect, but also to make Pomegranate/ Anardana Seeds Chutney. Chutney is a kind of sauce which is very popular in our Indian cuisine and is used as an accompaniment with most dishes. Every region and state has its variations. The Kashmiri Anardana Chutney prepared with dry pomegranate seeds has a very balanced concoction of tanginess and spiciness.
In our alternate medicine Ayurveda too Pomegranate has various valuable properties. So this chutney is a win win all the way!!
- Anardana/ pomegranate seeds 7-8 tbsp
- Green chillies 1-2
- Coriander a smallbunch
- Mint a small bunchh
- Curd 2-3 spoons
- Black salt i tbsp
- Sichuan pepper(optional)
- Soak anardana in water for sometime
- Grind anardana, green chillies, mint, coriander, Sichuan pepper and salt together.
- Add 1-2 spoon thick curd/ yogurt and grind it again.
- Adjust the texture by adding a little bit of water and grind it to a smooth paste.
- The chutney is now ready to serve!