Ambal/Pumpkin from Kashmir
Contributed by Harsh Magotra Sudan
Apart from being the hero at Halloween, the Pumpkin is a rich source of Vitamin A, antioxidants and Potassium which are essential for maintaining a healthy body. The tangy Tamarind Pumpkin curry loaded with all these benefits is surely something to look out for. It is a popular side dish of the Kashmiri cuisine and makes an awesome combination served with Channa Dal chawal or Rajma rice.
- Pumpkin 🎃
- Tamarind soaked in water
- Red chillies whole
- Fenugreek seeds
- Salt APT
- Turmeric powder
- Kashmiri red chilli powder
- Mustard oil
- Cut the Pumpkin into med sized cubes and scoop out the seeds.
- Heat the oil and add fenugreek seeds and red chilli whole and then add the Pumpkin, red chilli powder, turmeric, salt & cook until it gets soft.
- Add the soaked tamarind water/ pulp and mix well..
- Cook for a few more minutes.
- Add jaggery and bring it to a boil at high flame.
- By now pumpkin becomes mushy and is ready to be served.