Aloo Dam from West Bengal
May 21, 2020
Contributed by Chandrani Sarkar
Mostly served with Luchis (pooris made with maida), Bengali Aloo Dum has this satiating blend of spices and the crispiness of potatoes.
- 10 -12 Baby potatoes/ Aloo
- 3 medium Tomatoes
- 3 to 4 tablespoon mustard oil
- ½ inch Ginger
- ½ teaspoon kashmiri red chili powder or degi mirch - adjust as required if using a hotter variety of chili powder
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 cup water
- A bunch Coriander leaves
- A bunch Spinach leaves
- Green Chillies 2-3
- Salt as required
- Boil potatoes/ aloo and keep aside.
- Now grind Coriander leaves, Spinach leaves, Green Chillies, Tomatoes and some Ginger, make it to a fine paste and keep aside.
- Now heat oil in a kadai and fry some Dry Red Chillies and Jeera.
- Add the boiled potatoes and saute for some time adding Turmeric powder.
- Pour in the paste and cook for sometime, add salt to taste.
- Once u see the gravy leaving oil add some water and cook till u get a thick gravy.
The spicy tangy curry is ready for you to savour.